Thread: Question about Hunter combat

Question about Hunter combat

Hello, all!

I am extremely new to this game and am enjoying it immensely thus far except for one small issue. I would prefer to play as the Hunter class but am having a lot of difficulty with close-quarters combat. It seems to me that the Hunter has excellent range (of course; that's kind of the whole point of using a bow) and would be great for shooting at enemies that cannot reach the Hunter in question (if, for example, the Hunter was standing on a high ledge and the enemies were on the ground below), but in areas where there isn't a whole lot of room to move without running into a wall or aggro-ing another monster, I'm mostly dodging enemy blows and running away in an attempt to put some distance between myself and my foe so I can properly shoot. It's a rather tedious and frustrating process, especially because I tend to take a lot of damage during it. Does this get better once my Hunter is leveled up or am I just doing something wrong?

(I'm probably doing something wrong. Like I said, I'm very new to this game and have no idea what's going on half the time )

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds!

Chars
    IrishElf, Rishi, Irish
    Quote Originally Posted by nikki View Post
    Hello, all!

I am extremely new to this game and am enjoying it immensely thus far except for one small issue. I would prefer to play as the Hunter class but am having a lot of difficulty with close-quarters combat. It seems to me that the Hunter has excellent range (of course; that's kind of the whole point of using a bow) and would be great for shooting at enemies that cannot reach the Hunter in question (if, for example, the Hunter was standing on a high ledge and the enemies were on the ground below), but in areas where there isn't a whole lot of room to move without running into a wall or aggro-ing another monster, I'm mostly dodging enemy blows and running away in an attempt to put some distance between myself and my foe so I can properly shoot. It's a rather tedious and frustrating process, especially because I tend to take a lot of damage during it. Does this get better once my Hunter is leveled up or am I just doing something wrong?

(I'm probably doing something wrong. Like I said, I'm very new to this game and have no idea what's going on half the time )

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds!
    Hunters aren't supposed to be able to take out bounties and mobs at great distance without facing the possibility of being killed. That would make it like shooting fish in a barrel and quite unbalanced.

As you level up and craft, you'll be making better gear and finding drops like rings that buff your gear and feats. We all face challenges like you are but yes...it does get better as you level and some things become easier. But you will always face the possibility of mobs and bounties killing you.

User
    Server
    US1
    Chars
    Snow Fairy
    as hunter, you will never be strong at close combat. try using a retreat necklace to calm the mobs before they get to you, or before attacking. (Wizards use a similar feat on their necklaces). some hunters use sneak to help keep the mobs from attacking them by remaining unseen but this does fail at times and needs to be kept high but it does work well with retreat (calm then shoot from hiding). another option is slowing shot but that works better with some distance available because is only slows the mob. there are many areas where you simply cannot have enough space between you and the mobs and working around this problem is part of the hunter class. good luck and welcome to the game.

Royal Guardian
    Server
    EU1
    Chars
    GoGoGadgetGo
    Shoot and dodge (aka back up) If get in a binge press Esc and use roll to evade attacks until you`re out of combat range