Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Thread: Patch Notes 3.29.0 - Tues, May 2
    Chars
    IrishElf, Rishi, Irish
    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Just a thought. I have been fighting a bad lag monster myself for the last few weeks. Finally tracked it down to the hard drive working at 100% all the time - it never stops. This makes all applications very slow. I researched it on the web and found lots of "remedies". Things like - Turn off your firewall, turn off our virus protection, run this exe - it will fix things, we Promise . Right, not doing any of that.

For me, this issue was broken Windows Updates. For some reason the update would fail and it would go crazy trying to rerun it continuously. The fix for this is to go into C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete all the files in here. Give it a couple of minutes and the hard drive settles down. However, next time your PC tries to update, if that fails again, you get to do it again.. and again... and again.... Isn't Window 10 wonderful?

Neverless, it does slay the lag monster that has taken residence on my machine. Other lag (game server or network slowdowns) still occur so it isn't a cure all, but it does help.
    Thank you ever so Red Eye!

Server
    US1
    Chars
    Eltu, Ivar Otter
    Here's a handy batch file to do it automatically if anyone else experiences this (it's a Windows-specific issue and unrelated to V&H):

Code:
    net stop wuauserv  
    CD %Windir%          
    CD SoftwareDistribution          
    DEL /F /S /Q Download
    net start wuauserv
    (copy the above, paste into notepad, save file as wuclear.bat (or any other name) and run when needed)

It also has the benefit of stopping the update service before deleting to prevent downloads while the files are cleared.

Server
    US1
    Chars
    FaunaG, Fion
    How does one "run" the above batch file?

User
    Server
    EU1
    Chars
    ekimie
    Quote Originally Posted by FaunaG View Post
    Look it up where you saved it and doubleclick the file. Opening it will run it. Anyway it did so for me.

Server
    EU1
    Chars
    Majenta, Jena A, Arcola
    Quote Originally Posted by FaunaG View Post
    You can also right click the start menu icon, then choose Run, then type the name of the file in the box.
    If at first you do succeed - try not to look surprised!

Find me in game as Majenta EU1

Support : http://www.villagersandheroes.com/co...tomer-support/
    Terms of Service: http://www.villagersandheroes.com/terms-of-service/ and Forum Policies : https://forum.villagersandheroes.com...cement.php?a=2

Server
    US1
    Chars
    FaunaG, Fion
    Quote Originally Posted by ekimie View Post
    Look it up where you saved it and doubleclick the file. Opening it will run it. Anyway it did so for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majenta View Post
    You can also right click the start menu icon, then choose Run, then type the name of the file in the box.
    Thank you.

Server
    US1
    Chars
    Eltu, Ivar Otter
    (note that the second option only works if you provide the full path to the file and/or the file resides in a system folder - double-clicking the file is generally an easier method)