Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
Thread: quest dialogue
  1. #11
    User Braveshoe's Avatar
    Posts
    767
    Server
    US1
    Chars
    Rockbane, Rockshot, Rocklord, Doc Rock, Rockette

  2. #12
    Reading the quest explains the quest.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Majenta View Post
    One of the first pieces of advice I always give to new players is that in this game reading the quest dialogue is a good idea, since often the dialogue provides clues on what to do and anyway much of the dialogue is fun to read, so I personally would not support this idea.
    Well you could make dialogue a more core element of this game by adding character replies that you have to choose in order to get the quest or the information like the time we had to accuse or acquit the NPC at the end of the malicious Miscreant quests. Also I would like to argue that the quests in this game are quite good and enjoyable so adding the replies are in my opinion a good move. What do you guys think ?

  4. #14
    User Layla Littlenymph's Avatar
    Posts
    1,639
    Server
    US1
    Chars
    Layla, Lola, Lolita & Lance Littlenymph
    I'm of the opinion that the game is not as much fun since many of the side quests have been eliminated, much of the main quests have been reduced, and a good portion of the great dialog was lost with that streamlining. One of the things a reviewer will consider when rating a game is its world build and storyline. I have seen many a game criticised for being little more than an exercise of go there, do this, return to me, rinse, lather, and repeat.

    With all due respect to the OP, what you are asking for would result in a very boring game... in my opinion. When I play an arcade style game, I expect to grind out levels in the ever elusive quest to "beat the game" and reside atop the score table. When I play an MMO, I have an expectation of being entertained. For me, an MMO is an interactive form of entertainment. It is, of course, a game, but with elements that fall somewhere between reading a great book and viewing a good movie. Remove text? Good Lord, no. I would prefer to see text added.

    Normally I would say to each his own when it comes to matters of choice but in this instance, I will have to give a firm NO! Daily, I find myself bombarded by newer players seeking advice for issues they would be able to overcome on their own if they had bothered to read the text and follow the quest lines. I say no because their choice to skip the text and sometimes skip the quest, altogether, infringes upon my own enjoyment of the game. Another players choices should end where my nose begins. They want to blast through the game and achieve whatever it is they wish to achieve, but they always fall back, in time, on players that take the time to explore a game fully to fill in the missing pieces for them. Just once, I would like to get through an hours play session without having to stop and explain the art of acquiring a horse. I have to do this because people simply refuse to read the text or skip the quests. That is their choice, but to make it an acceptable option would only increase those instances.

  5. #15
    User Layla Littlenymph's Avatar
    Posts
    1,639
    Server
    US1
    Chars
    Layla, Lola, Lolita & Lance Littlenymph
    Quote Originally Posted by Username unavailable View Post
    Well you could make dialogue a more core element of this game by adding character replies that you have to choose in order to get the quest or the information like the time we had to accuse or acquit the NPC at the end of the malicious Miscreant quests. Also I would like to argue that the quests in this game are quite good and enjoyable so adding the replies are in my opinion a good move. What do you guys think ?
    I agree. In the Miscreant questline you have a choice of whether or not to rat out Lorcans' hiding spot on Cronk Island. Whether or not you choose to do so has no consequence to you, the player, but Lorcan would disagree. Either you get that... or you don't, but I found it to be hilarious. Macabre, perhaps... but funny all the same. And let's be honest. Those two deserved one another. I have not felt that amused since the day I set Princess Poofy, free! I would actually like to see more elements where choices had more consequence, but either way, they add up to good entertainment.
    Last edited by Layla Littlenymph; 06.03.2018 at 23:29.

  6. #16
    User
    Posts
    1,052
    Server
    US1
    Chars
    Zazie, Blue Glowworm
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla Littlenymph View Post
    Normally I would say to each his own when it comes to matters of choice but in this instance, I will have to give a firm NO! Daily, I find myself bombarded by newer players seeking advice for issues they would be able to overcome on their own if they had bothered to read the text and follow the quest lines. I say no because their choice to skip the text and sometimes skip the quest, altogether, infringes upon my own enjoyment of the game. Another players choices should end where my nose begins. They want to blast through the game and achieve whatever it is they wish to achieve, but they always fall back, in time, on players that take the time to explore a game fully to fill in the missing pieces for them. Just once, I would like to get through an hours play session without having to stop and explain the art of acquiring a horse. I have to do this because people simply refuse to read the text or skip the quests. That is their choice, but to make it an acceptable option would only increase those instances.
    THIS. I too am sick and tired of having to answer q's from players that they could figure out for themselves if they simply read the instructions the quest gives them. There's starting to be a little too much "hand-holding" going on & it's starting to interfere with MY enjoyment of the game. If my knowledge and experience isn't adequately appreciated or respected on a new server where I'm only there trying to help out, I'm just going to pick myself up and go back home again. (Which is why, after about a week of spending the majority of my play time on US3, now that I've claimed all my first week rewards, I have much less of an incentive to spend lots of time there.) And that's THEIR loss....quite a big one too, considering that I'm a pc player who could help make donations to village projects or who could knowledgably discuss many different topics.

  7. #17
    User
    Posts
    1,669
    Server
    US1
    Chars
    Snow Fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    THIS. I too am sick and tired of having to answer q's from players that they could figure out for themselves if they simply read the instructions the quest gives them. There's starting to be a little too much "hand-holding" going on & it's starting to interfere with MY enjoyment of the game. If my knowledge and experience isn't adequately appreciated or respected on a new server where I'm only there trying to help out, I'm just going to pick myself up and go back home again. (Which is why, after about a week of spending the majority of my play time on US3, now that I've claimed all my first week rewards, I have much less of an incentive to spend lots of time there.) And that's THEIR loss....quite a big one too, considering that I'm a pc player who could help make donations to village projects or who could knowledgably discuss many different topics.
    i see the word 'having' in your first sentence and would gently remind you of no need to answer any questions, especially those of a trivial or redundant nature.