Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread: Shadow Priest
    Royal Guardian
    Server
    US1
    Chars
    Zazie, Shiny BlueG, Skipperdee, Auntie Social
    I was hybrid before Starfall, but I didn't like playing my priest much -- especially in event zones. Pre-Starfall, there was still this old-school mentality floating around which said that if you're not holy, you shouldn't bother being a priest at all. Well, I absolutely LOVE my shadow priest now! It has become much more acceptable to be a priest who doesn't have ANY healing or shielding feats. In addition, shadow priests now have a way of healing themselves without needing to resort to weaker holy feats, so you're not at a disadvantage. (They're not so very strong if you're shadow.) My shadow priest and my nature hunter are my two fave toons post-Starfall. I think what I like most about the shadow priest is setting up big explosions through DOT feats and then triggering the blast with shadow orbs. Sure it's not guaranteed, but it's FUN when it happens!

And I rarely do anything but solo combat runs. Sure, if I'm not paying attention, I can die at the camps in Dartrey, but that's true of nearly every other class in those areas of the zone, when they're at lvl. I never had any problems running Rye. (That zone was easy even before I did my first rebirth at lvl 78.) If you've gotten to Dartrey already, you'll definitely want to have blasting and beserk runes on your gear. And I feel that shadow priests (probably more than most other subclasses) rely heavily on 5 star crafted gear and maxed-out socket use to get as many reinforcement runes as possible. (If you need some 5 star shadow gear, msge me & let me know what you're looking for. I think there might only be about 3 shadow recipes in the lvl 79-89 range that I don't have mastered, though I can't remember whether my new weapons master has mastered any mace recipes yet....Zazie is my armor master though & she has a variety of priest recipes.)

My advice is to skip ALL holy spells except Cure. Since you've rebirthed multiple times and are high lvl, you can probably max out the entire shadow tree and still have a few Ultimates from Balance. (I have both Well Read and the one that gives Condemn maxed. Currently working on maxing the one from Balance that gives shield block.) My philosophy is if you really want to shield and heal other players, be holy. If you want to be a holy battle priest, go for it! But if you're going to be shadow, you really don't want to have more than one, maybe two holy feats. Zazie has NO talent points in holy, NO holy mastery on her gear, and her only holy feat is Cure. (I also use a Conjured Regeneration trinket, but like having Cure too, for a guaranteed little heal -- since trinket feats have such a lengthy cooldown.)

It's also worth keeping in mind that since your bread and butter feats are all DOT's, killing everything is quite a bit slower in comparison to running your nature hunter! In event zones, my nature hunter can consistently kill mobs in 2 feats (not including Sneak.) In comparison, my shadow priest usually takes just one more feat to kill the same mob. It's the difference of just a few seconds, but it does add up! In some ways, running shadow now is a little bit more like what it used to be like to be a priest -- not just pre-Starfall, but more like 2-3 years ago. It's much faster than it was back then, and you don't have to rely on running with others, but it still requires a little bit of patience -- possibly more than the holy priest does. Some people "get" the shadow priest & others struggle with it. It's definitely NOT the right subclass for everyone! LOL

Regarding feats used in combat, for bounties, I usually hit Gloom, Corrupting Plague, Shadow Bolt, Contagion, Shadow Blast, Shadow Orbs. If it's not dead yet, I'll use the gloom, shadow bolt, shadow orbs combo again -- to try to trigger an explosion, if I didn't get one the first time around. If it's a single mob, it's pretty much Gloom, Corrupting Plague (or Shadow Bolt), Shadow Orbs, and it's dead. Sometimes, I use Condemn first when killing a bounty, but not very often. Some shadow priests swear by Darkfrost, but I find that leading off with that feat means that it takes you even longer to kill anything! LOL So, I don't use that feat at all (except for a little bit at the lowest lvls, if I have a hard time finding my preferred gloom rune.)

Some shadow priests love Glory. I'm not such a huge fan of it for my priest (generally because I like going at a slower pace, and it feels like a waste having high amounts of Glory if I'm not steadily killing. (I tend to periodically pause to read the map.) Other feats I use that I haven't already mentioned, I really only use in elder fights: Complete Control (trinket), Judgment, and Vampiric Pact. For everyday combat, I'll occasionally use Cure & rarely need to resort to Conjured Regeneration.

Good luck & if I can help answer any more q's, just holler.

What level are you? Do you have the gear for your level? how high is your magic resist and armor? for shield choose the one with 15% block, gotta max servant of shadow and get as many as shadow spell since that talent heal you every time you cast 5 shadow spell, then max open sea air, my shadow priest can tank and kill very nicely
    Last edited by Giruv; 04.07.2018 at 21:25.

User
    Server
    US1
    Chars
    soy azeltin, soyos, sophy, Dustbunny
    Thanks zazie, that was a great post. Love all the little info you put into it.

Giruv. I am level 80. I have all the best gear possible from crafted and drops. I have my magic and armor about mid range. Will take another look at the servant of shadow and sea air along with those zazie mentioned. I know our toons are not the same as they were pre starfall, but soy was my joy. She was my toon I loved to run, just really having a hard time find that same joy. I will take another look at build and see if I can tweak her a bit more. I do miss running her. In fact, i've leveled up my nature hunter and rebirthed her 5 times and only leveled up poor soy up one level. She is feeling neglected LOL

Chars
    IrishElf, Rishi, Irish
    Post Starfall I did try to run my priest as a shadow priest. Even though I'd made her gear, found all the good accessories and spec'd her well (as others said below), I was not happy with how she fared in soloing and surviving. Others who were based in holy seemed to do far better than her in killing quickly and surviving.

So I undertook switching from shadow base to holy base. I found the highest dmg skills and used them. I found the runes to buff and boost skills to make her mostly hybrid but based in holy.

She's not a fast killer but can kill and survive while solo and keeps others alive in a party.

I still miss my old shadow priest, but to me it just wasn't the same as it used to be. There was just not enough power there. I made the switch after talking to others who at first were shadow and also switched to holy.

I do not know why but the holy feats just seem to be more powerful than the shadow, as others had said when I was asking, and my priest being based in holy now does seem to handle her bounty runs well alone or in a party.

User
    Server
    US1
    Chars
    soy azeltin, soyos, sophy, Dustbunny
    OMG, I hate my priest even more now. I went pure shadow and now I not only have a headache but I am dizzy from watching the screen shake when my shadow orb does a blast of some kind. She still feels sluggish and messy.
    Sadly, for me, I think it is time to retire my priest, Soy, who has been around since the beginning of time, she will now become nothing but a glorified sheep rancher. Maybe one day, I will try her as a holy priest, maybe that will be more my style. But, my feeling is, priest has been changed to much from what they were before for my liking.
    Last edited by soysauce; 06.07.2018 at 14:57.