Thread: Shadow Priest

Shadow Priest

Looking to chat with any active shadow priests out there about their stat builds. I play on US3 and have yet to come across any other 50+ Shadow Priests I know something is wrong with my current build.
    https://imgur.com/a/jBEG9
    Last edited by TheBloodyFriar; 28.03.2018 at 05:48.

User
    Server
    US1
    Chars
    Snow Fairy
    i can see right away you have problems with mana. what feats do you use? do you have a heal?

User
    Server
    US1
    Chars
    Zazie, Blue Glowworm
    There's really no such thing as a "right" build. It's really a matter of figuring out which feats YOU most like to use and which stats are most important to you. I could tell you exactly which feats I use on my lvl 81 4X rebirthed priest (who was lvl 78 without any rebirths when all the Starfall changes happened last fall), BUT even if you tried to duplicate my exact build (which is heavy on the socket usage and also relies heavily on my 20 extra talent points), it wouldn't necessarily work well for you!

Post-Starfall, on the lower lvl weapons (before I started using sockets), I would probably use gloom, shadow blast, and shadow orbs. (Gloom is from loot drop. Shadow blast & shadow orbs are both from the crafted shadow mace. You can get shadow orbs as loot drop & on the elder weapon, too, but the rune is never as strong as on the crafted weapon. And shadow orbs is definitely one of my "bread and butter" feats!) If I had already gotten the Contagion ultimate, I might even drop shadow blast (even though I love it) & use corrupting plague from the elder mace instead. (Corrupting plague is a long-lasting DOT feat, so you have plenty of chances of triggering an explosion, which is always my ultimate goal.)

Darkfrost is another loot drop, single-target, DOT feat I would seriously think about using, if I wasn't willing to spend sockets yet. (If you're not killing things quickly, this slowing effect buys you some time.) At one point, I was considering using darkfrost instead of gloom, but I love gloom soooo much that I couldn't give it up! (Note that I've heard of some high lvl shadow priests who swear by darkfrost, though I think they use gloom, too.)

I'm not a fan of Rebuke. I would rather use a Cure necklace instead. (That's the only holy feat I have & it's good for reducing the length of poison dmge, webbing, rooting, etc. along with giving me a tiny heal.) If I need a bigger heal than Cure, I use Conjured Regeneration from one of the trinkets. To help with mana, I'm a fan of Complete Control (requires less planning ahead & thinking than Soaring Will, which I previously used.) But again, trinkets are where personal preferences come into play. You could also use a trinket that guarantees critical strikes, or something else that helps with your offense. (Trinket guide found here: https://forum.villagersandheroes.com...e-to-Trinkets!)

Back to your character page: I would try to tweak your stats slightly so that you have one less green arrow in intellect and an additional one in will. (Cause if your mana's not regenerating, having higher maximum mana doesn't mean much, imo.) Personally, I try to go for a balanced approach, with two green arrows in everything, but if you're not spending sockets and/or using all 5 star crafted gear with plenty of reinforcement runes, that won't necessarily be possible. So, instead, I would think about where your specific issues are when you're out on a run & whether you can compensate for some of those more minor issues with crafted combat buffs.

I'm a master crafter & it's worth it to me if I spend a lot of gold and time getting a reinforcement rune for blasting (one of the epic stats) on my hat, robe, and belt. My other favorite epic stat rune for my shadow priest is beserk. I like boosting these two epic stats cause they give me additional AOE dmge for zones with grouped mobs, like the Pyrron zones (lvl 55-75) and the zone I'm spending most of my time in now. (They also help to compensate for my slow reflexes.) LOL! But again, which epic stats you like best, which ones you might want to try getting reinforcement runes to boost, and whether you think they're worth it is entirely up to you. (It's probably worth noting that my toon has expensive tastes and is quite picky!) LOL

You might also think about how you have your talent points set. For my shadow priest, my strategy is to always work towards getting the Ultimates. So, I'll keep adding points into a talent until I get the Ultimate & then move onto the next one. Here's the order in which I get the Ultimates: Hexing Shadows, Call of the Void, Well Read (from Balance section), Servant of Shadow, Shadow Affinity, Strength of Will, Open Sea Air. I didn't get the Condemn ultimate from the Balance section until after I had completed most of the Pyrron zones, but it worked OK for me cause I had a high lvl of blasting.

My philosophy is that looking at the big picture of how everything fits together is of the utmost importance. There are so many factors and variables involved in how your toon performs in combat & whether you it feels right to you.

If it helps any, this tutorial video I created about stats shows my character page & if I remember correctly, it also gives a glimpse at my gear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTArd_zG6ZU

If you have any additional questions or want to discuss shadow priests more, the forums is an excellent way of doing it! (Partly cause you're more likely to receive more constructive, well-thought out info that might help ease the decision-making.)

Have FUN! Shadow priests are an absolute beast when you get them going in a way that suits YOU!

Update wanted to post a picture of my combat bar
    https://imgur.com/a/gGA9i
    As for stat points after re-birthing twice I have maxed out the bottom talent in balance. Then I maxed out the 3 top talents in shadow and now am working on the 4th shadow talent.

User
    Server
    US1
    Chars
    Zazie, Blue Glowworm
    Wow! I just noticed that your defense rating is only THREE!! I would look at the stats that help increase that number and try to get your defense rating up to at least 4. If you do that & gnog on a reinforcement rune for Will, you might find everything a bit easier.

Just so that we get a better sense of how to help you, what do you feel your biggest issues are with your build? What don't you like about it? Is your only trouble running out of mana, or are you dying a lot, too?? (Cause I notice that you aren't using Cure or a healing trinket, for the occasional guaranteed-to work-when-you-most-need-it heal.) Do you have other issues, too?

I do have vampiric pact also, but I only use it in elder fights & even then, it's more to regen mana than to strongly heal myself. (Cause vampiric pact is a pretty stinky feat, I have to admit, considering its long cooldown.) Lifesteal isn't a guaranteed heal, but having a moderate to high amount of that stat might help, too, if you're struggling with health.

And which reinforcement runes do you have on your gear? (The stat-boosting ones from crafted gear will make a HUGE difference & are far better than any loot drop passive runes, imo.) Not sure if this info might be helpful, but my shadow priest has developed an addiction to blasting and beserk runes, found occasionally on crafted gear that has been made 30X or more. LOL (But that could also be related to my playstyle.)

My defense Rating is currently 3.7 main reason these stats are so low is that I have yet to begin crafting gear for my level. I find that I rarely die most times I die only when with a party of people. I find that it's odd I feel I should be putting out more damage however with a group I tend to take aggro over the tank fast even with my DoT's. I think I should have an easier time once I am able to craft myself some gear at my level. But my main question besides Shadow Mastery what other stats I should focus on? I am viable to kill mobs and kill them fast when my gear is adequate for the level of the area.
    The main issue right now it seems I need to get into crafting gear for myself. The problem I see with that is how does one get Woodcrafting up fast enough to create mace's and shields. Also where is a good place to farm bone's as it seems I need them for making my skull staffs.

User
    Server
    US1
    Chars
    Chiarale
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloodyFriar View Post
    The problem I see with that is how does one get Woodcrafting up fast enough to create mace's and shields.
    I think most players sit down at a crafting station with raw materials (to make the highest possible refined items) and stacks of motes.
    Also where is a good place to farm bone's as it seems I need them for making my skull staffs.
    If I remember correctly, Bearhold Crypt is a decent area. Happy farming!

Im new to villagers and heroes, i am also a shadow priest and i was wondering where do i put my points at??

Server
    EU1
    Chars
    Jenny The Brave, Sir Z, Princess Lyla, Miss Never
    look at your priest talents window,
    At least Hexing Shadow, Call of the Void, Servant of the shadow (the ultimate of this one heals you)
    at the balance window: precision and strenght of will (this helps you later - it singles out a mob from the group; at the start not really necessary.
    I hope this helps a bit, I'm sure there are shadow priest around that know more - also if you hoover over the talents you can read what it does at start and what you get as ultimate (at least on pc - not sure how to read it on mobile)