Thread: Wellspring and Beyond, my thoughts
    Server
    US2
    Chars
    Rose Heart, June Gardener, April Meadows

Wellspring and Beyond, my thoughts

Hi,

Wellspring brought a plethora of changes and as such, I wanted to really go through all of them before I made any real comments about it.

The latch system has been a blessing for gathering and crafting for mobile players. I like the changes that the latch system has brought and how it has helped immensely with a constant clicking for people with carpal tunnel and other forms of nerve damage.

I am glad to see the shiny, gleaming, glittering, Stout, et all variations of ingredients have gone away. That being said, I do miss be the diversity of ingredients that were available pre Wellspring. I will say here but many have echoed inside the game, I am concerned about dumbing down the game too much to be able to appeal to and keep more seasons players.

I understand why this change was made especially for lower-level players trying to get their bearings in the game. When I first started playing after Starfall was released, the amount of ingredients for me at the beginning was extensively overwhelming.

But I think this needs to be modified to entail the complexity of the game. While lower-level players need the Simplicity of the recipes to help get them started and develop their skills, I believe as you level, the complexities of your recipes should also increase.

Here is the description from the Android play store:

Welcome to the Best 3D MMORPG on Android! Join hundreds of thousands of players worldwide in an epic MMO in a massive 3D world filled with swords, sorcery, dungeons, dragons, wizards, warriors, quests galore, countless beasties, and people from all over the globe.

★ Explore a Massive World with Thousands of Story-Driven Quests
    ★ Party-up with Friends to Raid the Lairs of Mallok’s Brood of Horrors
    ★ Ride to Glory on a Nightmare Steed, a White Stallion and more
    ★ Forge your own Weapons and outfits, enchanting them with exactly the Magical Spells and Heroic Feats you choose
    ★ Level up your Talents to unleash Ultimate Abilities on your enemies.
    ★ Craft, Garden, Ranch, Fish, Mine and more
    ★ Build the Mightiest Village in the Seven Realms
    ★ Seasonal Event Challenges
    ★ Play seamlessly between Mobile and PC
    Note that it says that we can forge or weapons and outfits with EXACTLY the magical spells and feats we want. This is a grave inaccuracy as the crafting engine for the magical spells and feats we want is purely random and at best, all we can hope for is who get lucky and get what we want in this random cacophony of crafting.

I would like to see the ability to actually craft the magical spells and feats I want through the recipes getting more complex as I level.

The game already has the framework to be able to purchase recipes from the charter vendors that would allow this. For example being able to purchase a recipe that allows me to add lifesteal to all my crafted gear with various ingredients required to facilitate the lifesteal ability would in fact live up to the Play Store description of getting me control over my crafted gear and being able to produce it exactly as I want it.

Next I would like to address the issue of the stack sizes. 250 is clearly not a sufficient amount after the Wellspring update and in massive upsurge of Crafters.

The Twilight Vale event really highlights this problem. Well many if not most of the older players have the inventory to handle 40 stacks of bugs, the newer players most likely do not. This is something that is literally a deterrent to the game for newer players. There was a significant difference in the size Liam and Tori for a person going from five stacks of 1,000 to 40 stacks of 250. The difference is clearly what is attainable versus what is not attainable for a beginner.

Please consider raising a stack size back to 1000.

Overall I see the game moving in a very positive direction that supports enormous future development, but I also see meaning of shortcomings that could could curtail future development just as easily. As retired programmer, I understand how difficult it is to balance between simplicity and complexity. I know the mobile market has made drastic changes to gameplay, but that should not water down or dilute the game in any way for seasoned players.

Thank you in advance.

Royal Guardian
    Server
    EU1
    Chars
    GoGoGadgetGo
    Personally I think the Otters are taking the stance more towards the mobile market. And it quite understandable as propably 95% of new players come from that platform. I agree with you that the over simplicity is not fun at all. It just takes away the intrest from the crafting part of the game. Imo there should be more options to crafting as you suggest with new more complex recipies and possibly more gathered/looted specialty items for to use in those recipies. And maybe they could be implemented more towards the level cap so around lvl 80 you would get these recipies as endgame content. Current epic/legendary crafting is so simple that it hardly takes much time from anyone.

Server
    US2
    Chars
    Priest Daimheach
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Heart View Post
    Note that it says that we can forge or weapons and outfits with EXACTLY the magical spells and feats we want. This is a grave inaccuracy as the crafting engine for the magical spells and feats we want is purely random and at best, all we can hope for is who get lucky and get what we want in this random cacophony of crafting.
    There is no inaccuracy. The android store says that you can create weapons with whatever feats and spells you want. This is entirely correct. Yes, there is randomness with stats - but the playstore does not say anything about stats. Some feats/spells, you can only get through crafting, some through elder gear, and some through dropped gear. When it comes to dropped gear, yes there IS some randomness and it can be difficult to find exactly what you're looking for, but it's not impossible.

There is no "random cacophony" in crafting when it comes to spells or feats.

To say that devs are being inaccurate in their advertising, I feel is unfair.

Server
    US2
    Chars
    @DaimTest,

Then perhaps better clarification is in order as most people consider the stats part of the crafting process.

Server
    US2
    Chars
    Sinizter, Kayaus, Anarky, Armageddon, Vyrus, Execution, Extinction, Korruption
    The inability to customize my gear while crafting is the biggest deficiency when it comes to the crafting system for me. I want to collect resources and select specific stats, appearances, abilities and modifications. That is how deep complex crafting systems are made, not randomized gear.
    US1: Armageddon, Anarky, Korruption, Execution
    US2: Sinizter, Kayaus, Extinction
    US3: Vyrus

Server
    US1
    Chars
    Red Wizard
    Agreed regarding crafting gear. It is one of the biggest let down in game since all of it became random.

Server
    EU1
    Chars
    Erwalt
    I was so much against this crafting randomness until I realized you usually need no more than 20 crafts to get exactly what you want.
    Getting the wanted stats combination for epics is a bit of a pain though since you need to roll 4 stats. Still so much easier than preStarfall crafting where chances to get ninetail/griffin were almost non-existent. So epic crafting is also fine imo, especially with the reduced amount of materials needed.

Server
    US2
    Chars
    Verrier, Zelena Moonlight, Urtear
    Quote Originally Posted by SKAAVEEK View Post
    The inability to customize my gear while crafting is the biggest deficiency when it comes to the crafting system for me. I want to collect resources and select specific stats, appearances, abilities and modifications. That is how deep complex crafting systems are made, not randomized gear.
    Agree with this, I don't mind if the resource needed to craft gear increased again for the cost to remove the randomness. On the old game that i used to play crafting don't have fixed recipe, well the base is fixed but then you can add other thing like gems, other material, rune, and a few other things to modify special abilities, bonus stats and appearance

Server
    US2
    Chars
    What I was trying to describe in my first post it's not a large bump in the complexity of crafting, but rather a slow progression in its complexity. The same way of combat leveling gets more difficult as you progress is what I would like to see in the complexity of the crafting recipes.

That way to lower levels can enjoy the game and get used to the mechanics of the crafting engine and a simplified way, while the more seasoned players can get into the more advanced recipes and gain better control over their crafting expectations and needs. As I said in my first post also, the game already has the mechanics necessary to allow this to happen.

User
    Server
    US1
    Chars
    Zazie, Blue Glowworm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Heart View Post
    What I was trying to describe in my first post it's not a large bump in the complexity of crafting, but rather a slow progression in its complexity. The same way of combat leveling gets more difficult as you progress is what I would like to see in the complexity of the crafting recipes.

That way to lower levels can enjoy the game and get used to the mechanics of the crafting engine and a simplified way, while the more seasoned players can get into the more advanced recipes and gain better control over their crafting expectations and needs. As I said in my first post also, the game already has the mechanics necessary to allow this to happen.
    This concept of crafting becoming more complex as you level up really appeals to me! Crafting should be simple at the lower lvls. You're just learning the basics, and you can't run before you can walk.

Think about the combat gear system: There's an obvious progression to it. Rings are introduced at lvl 13, necklaces at lvl 17, etc. Feats are added to the crafted weapons at lvl 16 and 21. However, the recipes themselves never evolve! Imo, this is part of what makes the post-Wellspring crafting system so incredibly boring if you're an experienced crafter! The whole thing is just so overly simplified and drab. Yes, it's nice that a variety of recipes exist, but they aren't all essential!

Crafting specializations help alleviate the boredom a bit, but it's really not enough imo. I've gotten used to the random stats on gear (and I have a pretty good sense of which stats I value most), so I wouldn't insist that recipes for crafted gear alter in a way that was related to the stats on gear. I'd just really like to see another potential layer of complexity added to the recipes, for those who WANT it.