Thread: Maths of using motes

Maths of using motes

The first pair of questions I had for myself is how much money do you "make" by not using motes when crafting. (well, I guess it's really saving money) And how much money do you "make" while gathering. That question is kind of easy to answer. You can craft 33 things in 1 minute and it costs 1 mote per thing to craft faster. Motes cost 6.5 or 7 silver each on US2 auction house, so that's 33 * 6.5 = 214.5 silver per minute.

The second question was harder, while gathering, there are a lot of things you're getting. You get motes, gems, and cornucopias (when gathering in the village), in addition to the raw materials and gathering supplies. I chose to ignore the raw material value and also to ignore the gathering supplies as a "wash" (you're using supplies, while also gaining some). I did 3 tests using only green gathering supplies. I gathered for more than 10 mins each time, using lvl 75 triad potion, on a lvl 75 gathering node, and with the lvl 78 herb (sour cicely).

Doing so, I got a bit above 10 motes per minute, and a few corns, and of course some gems. Counting the corns as worth 45 silver, motes as worth 6.5 silver, and the gems, I got an average of 1.5 gold per minute gathering (with over half of that being cornucopia and mote value).

What this means to me is that if you're really trying to "make gold" at some point in the game, then gathering is fine, but if you then spend motes crafting up the raw materials you'll lose more than you gained.

The math on this might change with higher level herbs and higher level gathering nodes, but I can't hit those yet, so didn't consider them .

Royal Guardian
    Server
    US1
    Chars
    Zazie, Shiny BlueG, Skipperdee, Auntie Social
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprig3 View Post
    The first pair of questions I had for myself is how much money do you "make" by not using motes when crafting. (well, I guess it's really saving money) And how much money do you "make" while gathering. That question is kind of easy to answer. You can craft 33 things in 1 minute and it costs 1 mote per thing to craft faster. Motes cost 6.5 or 7 silver each on US2 auction house, so that's 33 * 6.5 = 214.5 silver per minute.

The second question was harder, while gathering, there are a lot of things you're getting. You get motes, gems, and cornucopias (when gathering in the village), in addition to the raw materials and gathering supplies. I chose to ignore the raw material value and also to ignore the gathering supplies as a "wash" (you're using supplies, while also gaining some). I did 3 tests using only green gathering supplies. I gathered for more than 10 mins each time, using lvl 75 triad potion, on a lvl 75 gathering node, and with the lvl 78 herb (sour cicely).

Doing so, I got a bit above 10 motes per minute, and a few corns, and of course some gems. Counting the corns as worth 45 silver, motes as worth 6.5 silver, and the gems, I got an average of 1.5 gold per minute gathering (with over half of that being cornucopia and mote value).

What this means to me is that if you're really trying to "make gold" at some point in the game, then gathering is fine, but if you then spend motes crafting up the raw materials you'll lose more than you gained.

The math on this might change with higher level herbs and higher level gathering nodes, but I can't hit those yet, so didn't consider them .
    Being able to craft 33 items per minute is based on an assumption that the village you're living in has all of their crafting stations maxed. Otherwise, you can't craft this many items in a minute. You're also assuming that there's no village insight in play. (My toons who generally craft 33 items per minute are able to craft 40 instead when they have village insight.)

Yes, your general point is relevant: Choosing to use motes while crafting is at the expense of being able to sell those motes to others. And if you're choosing to buy motes from other players, there's an additional cost. However the math works out, it will only be useful to a certain extent. Suffice it to say that you can't have it all & there are always choices to be made. And different players have different priorities.

Server
    US3
    Chars
    Mayor Rylee Gardner, Sun Vadrohz, Lillia Gatnes
    Well, gathering without motes gives me time to crochet... lol!
    Darkness Falls City, where Mayor Rylee Gardner lives and works.
    Sun Vadhroz, second sister on her last crusade and
    Lillia Gatnes, Grand Crone. They were all drawn to Darkness Falls...

Server
    EU1
    Chars
    Majenta, Jena A, Arcola
    But on the other hand ... using motes saves time, and time is money, so where does that leave us?
    If at first you do succeed - try not to look surprised!

Find me in game as Majenta EU1

Support : http://www.villagersandheroes.com/co...tomer-support/
    Terms of Service: http://www.villagersandheroes.com/terms-of-service/ and Forum Policies : https://forum.villagersandheroes.com...cement.php?a=2

Server
    US1
    Chars
    FaunaG, Fion
    That was a LOT of experimenting! I'm impressed. Now do the math for when you don't use the multi craft just motes. 1 click = 50 items.

Quote Originally Posted by FaunaG View Post
    That was a LOT of experimenting! I'm impressed. Now do the math for when you don't use the multi craft just motes. 1 click = 50 items.
    That one click costs you 3.25 gold. (I mean, it's really 50 * mote cost, so it could vary, of course!) Then, with the 55 seconds you save, you can gather, earning back almost 1.5 gold.

Server
    US1
    Chars
    FaunaG, Fion
    ty. fyi i dont think herbs have a level requirement to use so if you can get the highers, use those

Server
    US2
    Chars
    Priest Daimheach
    Quote Originally Posted by cjjohn View Post
    Well, gathering without motes gives me time to crochet... lol!
    I thought I was the only one who crocheted while gathering and crafting!!!

Server
    US3
    Chars
    Mayor Rylee Gardner, Sun Vadrohz, Lillia Gatnes
    Quote Originally Posted by DaimTest View Post
    I thought I was the only one who crocheted while gathering and crafting!!!
    LOL! Multitaskers of the World, Unite!!
    Darkness Falls City, where Mayor Rylee Gardner lives and works.
    Sun Vadhroz, second sister on her last crusade and
    Lillia Gatnes, Grand Crone. They were all drawn to Darkness Falls...