Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Thread: [Guide] How to Play In Linux Under Wine
    Server
    EU2
    Chars
    Paranoia, La Flute
    there should be steam in your software-repo (linux-native). which derivative (linux-version) you're using?

User
    Server
    EU1
    Chars
    Izel, Glacey, Crimara
    Thanks for answering.
    There is no native V&H client for linux, therefore using the native steam client on linux won't help you here.

You have to run the Windows steam so you can install windows games.

It is on Ubuntu 16.04.
    i7-3770 with 8GB RAM and Nvidia GTX970 (Nvidia driver not nouveau)
    Last edited by Izel; 03.05.2017 at 02:08.

Server
    EU2
    Chars
    Paranoia, La Flute
    i opened steam and... v&h is windows only, you're right, how odd.

We recently saw that using the standard nouveau-driver will cause trouble, so did you managed to install the proprietary nVidia-driver for your GTX 970?

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/114708

User
    Server
    EU1
    Chars
    Izel, Glacey, Crimara
    Yes, its with the lastest driver from NVidia's site, not the nouveau or even the Ubuntu packaged NVidia driver.

All native linux games works 100%.

The SAC client for V&H also works 100% under wine (As indicated in my initial post)

I was just wondering if there is a trick for wine+steam+V&H which someone has figured out.

Server
    EU2
    Chars
    Paranoia, La Flute
    @ Izel

I grabbed myself an i5 with 4 GB RAM, nVidia GT 220 (1028 Mb, proprietary driver) and Linux Mint 18.1 (based on Ubuntu 16.04) on it. Then I installed steam for windows using that most comfortable tool PlayOnLinux.

After creating an steam-account I installed v&h, made myself a warrior and right now I'm playing the tutorial. I was at Gilly's tunnel, Summer's Hollow, Dagmar Strand and a village. No issues so far.

I'm surprised about the performance of that old Gfx-card of mine. I can play on ultra-settings with 20-30 fps.

Sorry, I'm not able to reproduce your issue. But maybe you could try PlayOnLinux (have a look at your software center). It's an automated tool and installs all the stuff you need by itself, to get your program started.

Edit: By the way... My default emulated Windows-versions are Win XP and Win 7, POL uses Wine 1.7.53 in an steam-crossoverhack. It really would be best, if you could use PlayOnLinux for getting back your main-toons I think.

User
    Server
    EU1
    Chars
    Izel, Glacey, Crimara
    Wow Paranoia, you have gone through a lot of trouble ! Thank you very much for your effort !

Now we know that it should work. I tried both Windows XP and Windows 7 emulation.

I am using the wine package that comes with Ubuntu 16.04 which is version 1.6.2

I will give PlayOnLinux a go.
    At the moment I have a windows partition just to play V&H ...
    But its very inconvenient to keep switching.

User
    Server
    EU1
    Chars
    Izel, Glacey, Crimara
    I can confirm that PlayOnLinux is the way to go.

I installed steam+V&H with PlayOnLinux. I am very impressed by PlayOnLinux.
    In the past I always had to do some hacking to get things working under wine.

PlayOnLinux takes care of all that for you. With a couple of clicks everything was installed and working. It really cant get much easier than this.

For the actually game play I am also impressed. I played for several hours last night using this solution. We even did a tomb run.
    In the whole time I did not experience a single crash or disconnect or anything.
    So far it seems to be a very stable solution.

The only negative is that it is slightly choppy. The graphics settings do not really make a difference.
    It seems to rely heavy on single threaded performance as 1 core was flat-lined the whole time.

Thanks so much for this solution Paranoia.

If possible, I suggest moving the PlayOnLinux solution to the head of this thread. As it is at the moment, people stumbling upon this thread will start following the steps outlined in the 1st post. Only when they start having trouble, will they read the rest of the thread. The PlayOnLinux option should be where they must start (3rd post). Things seems to have moved on a bit since that post. It is not necessary to fiddle with wine versions or anything.

Edit: Thanks to Arcadien too
    Last edited by Izel; 04.05.2017 at 02:08.

User
    Server
    EU1
    Chars
    mariakt, evangelia
    Great Izel

I have played V&H a lot for the last year or so on my old laptop running Linux Lite 2.8 (Ubuntu LTS derivative). I run the SAC installed via PlayOnLinux. I have to reduce the graphic settings since my hardware is old, but have not had any major problems at all. On Linux we are even shielded from random creator's updates that someone pushes out

Thanks to Arcadien for the PlayOnLinux solution

Server
    US2
    Chars
    Missadventure, mallok, Missunderstanding
    I thought I would throw my two cents in
    I have been playing on V&H for a couple years now on ubuntu Betas, I upgrade everytime a new one comes out, I play straight off of wine using q4wine to simplify the integration with linux and never had an issue with it. it works great. I have even started running bleeding edge wine with gallium nine drivers and it still hasn't broken, though recently a glitch has developed where parts of the floor turn into mirrors lol